09:07AM, Thursday 13 June 2013
A massive blaze that ripped through a Grade II-listed home in Windsor's Park Street last month could have been started deliberately.
Speaking yesterday investigating officer PC Devjeet Hunjan said the Park Street blaze on May 7 is being treated by officers as an 'arson investigation'.
He said the exact cause is 'yet to be established' by Thames Valley Police and Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service and the probe is ongoing.
The force released a CCTV image on Tuesday of a man in a hooded top at the scene officers want to trace.
PC Hunjan said he is not a suspect but might be able to 'assist' investigation officers with their enquiries.
He said: "The man was seen by members of the public at the time of the fire.
"Officers want to speak to him to assist the investigation or speak to him as a potential witness."
Speaking outside his destroyed home on Monday, owner Alan Bussey said he was not aware he had 'any enemies'.
The 69-year-old said he and wife Sue, of Winkfield Lane, Winkfield, are still in a 'daze' and working flat-out to restore their dream home.
The owner of property firm Hogarth Developments has submitted planning applications for the four-storey Georgian townhouse.
He said: "It is a magnificent building and we have lost most of it but will endeavour to replace it as best we can."
Alan, who said he fell in love with the building when he first saw it, described the restoration project as a daunting challenge and has set himself a target of finishing it in eight to nine months.
"It is depressing for me to see it like this," he added. "I am still looking forward to living here. It was my dream and can still be my dream."
He also thanked emergency services and the Royal Borough, who he said have acted with 'sympathy and cooperation'.
If you have information call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Top Ten Articles
A tribute to John Spicer, who died in a traffic collision in Winkfield Road on Sunday, has been issued by his family this evening.
Taha Hussain, formerly of Langtree Avenue, Slough, was found guilty of seven counts of disseminating terrorist publications following a 15-day trial at the Old Bailey yesterday (Monday).