FA Cup round-up: Holyport and Windsor fall at the first hurdle in FA Cup

Ascot United v Holyport. Photo by Andrew Batt


Ascot United 3, Holyport 0

The road to Wembley kicked off on Friday evening as Ascot United cruised to a 3-0 FA Cup win over Holyport at the Racecourse Ground.

The Yellamen already led 2-0 at half-time but it was Duarte Surpanu’s brilliant third which lit up the extra-preliminary round tie in front of a bumper crowd of 450.

The game boated a tantalising mix of local rivalry and connections, with Holyport having been promoted to the same league as Ascot, the Combined Counties Premier Division North for the coming season.

However, they spent much of the first half chasing shadows as the Yellamen raced into an unassailable lead.

Harry Laflin opened his account, deftly flicking home Taylor Morgan’s cross from the left. Port conceded again on the stroke of half-time when Surpanu released Josh Masters on the left and his dangerous cross was touched home at the far post by George Lock.

Surpanu then ignited an already entertaining cup tie five minutes after the restart, twisting one way and then another before firing the ball in off the near post from what looked an impossible angle.


Cadbury Heath 0, Flackwell Heath 2

An impressive performance from Flackwell Heath saw them advance into the next round after a 2-0 away win over Cadbury Heath in a match dubbed ‘the battle of the Heaths’.

Despite bouts of heavy rain, the Heathens took control of the tie in the second half with Aiden Higgs grabbing the opening goal in the 47th minute. He timed his run to perfection to break through and rolled the ball into the net to give the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division side the lead.

Their second goal of the afternoon arrived 10 minutes later with Higgs this time turning provider for Ashley Howell to side-foot home.

The Heathens will visit Tuffley Rovers in the Preliminary Round on Saturday, August 21 (KO 3pm) after they surprisingly overcame Windsor 3-2 at Stag Meadow on Sunday afternoon.


Windsor 2, Tuffley Rovers 3

Windsor failed to take their chances in the first half, and showed a lack of composure in the second as they bowed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.

Having taken the lead through Charlie Jaggers’ 29th minute free kick, the Royalists spurned several chances to wrap the tie up before half-time and Swales levelled matters just 10 minutes after the restart. Eric Sowonola restored Windsor’s advantage just a minute later with Excellence Muhemba providing the assist, however, two goals in five minutes from Kent and Basford turned the tie on its head.

Afterwards boss Mark Cooper tweeted: “Very disappointed to lose a game that should have been won by half time. Good opening 45 with lots of chances followed by complacency, soft defending, and a lack of composure second half.

“Lessons to be learnt. On to our first league game on Tuesday.”

The Royalists kick off their Combined Counties Premier Division North season tomorrow night (Tuesday) at home to Reading City.


Shrivenham 1, Burnham 1

Burnham scored a late penalty to rescue a 1-1 draw from their extra-preliminary round FA Cup tie at Shrivenham on Saturday.

Both goals were scored in the final 10 minutes with Shrivenham grabbing the lead in the 84th minute, forcing the ball home after the Blues’ defence half cleared a cross. But a handball in the area from the home side handed Burnham the chance to level matters from the spot, a gift they gratefully accepted.

The sides will try again tomorrow night (Tuesday) at the newly named 1878 Stadium.

Shrivenham’s joint manager Rob Broadbank was less than impressed with his side’s effort on Saturday and has called for a marked improvement in the replay.

“I didn’t think we worked hard enough,” he told shrivenhamfc.co.uk

“We weren’t good enough today, it’s as simple as that.”

“We didn’t look after the ball in the first half, and I don’t think we did much better in the second half.”

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles