Wed, 25
13 °C
Thu, 26
8 °C
Fri, 27
7 °C

Football round-up: Maidenhead United lose National League curtain raiser at Sutton but Slough defeat Dartford in FA Cup

Sutton United 3, Maidenhead United 0

Maidenhead United failed to pick up any points from their National League opener, going down 3-0 to Sutton United this afternoon.

The Magpies have had a good recent record at Gander Green Lane, having won on each of their three trips since gaining promotion.

However, this new-look line up will take some time to gel and manager Alan Devonshire was also forced to juggle his pack due to a raft of injuries.

Despite this they started brightly and fans watching the game on a live stream would have been heartened to see Sam Barratt strike the post with a header from Danilo Orsi-Dadomo’s cross in the 10th minute. Left-back George Wells had also tried his luck with an audacious attempt from close to the half-way line only to see it swing wide of the target.

But the home side deflated any early optimism by scoring twice before the break. The first of them came in the 17th minute, Bugiel nodding in from close range after a Sho-Silva header was knocked down to Ajiboye who picked out Bugiel.

Taye Ashby-Hammond was forced into a couple of decent saves before the home side extended their advantage, tipping over Milsom’s free-kick and then keeping out a Randall shot from outside the area in the 29th minute.

But a second goal followed 10 minutes before the break when Randall’s corner was touched in by Eastmond, however, the final touch may well have come off Maidenhead’s Shaun Donnellan.

Sutton may well have wrapped the game up early in the second half when a Manny Parry header had Ashby-Hammond scrambling to save on his line in the 53rd minute.

The Magpies showed glimpses of what they’re capable of in the second half, with Orsi-Dadomo forcing a save from the U’s keeper after 55 minutes and Josh Coley very nearly finding a route through to goal after taking the ball past his marker before the chance was snuffed out.

Devonshire threw on Dan Sparkes for Ryan Upward and Josh Smile for Barratt for the final 20 minutes, but Sutton held firm and extended their lead in the final 10 minutes when Kealy scored his first goal for the club after coming off the bench.

The Magpies will look to shake off the disappointment of today’s defeat in time for Tuesday’s visit of Kings Lynn Town to York Road.


Dartford 0, Slough Town 1

Jack McKnight kept his cool to slot home a 92nd minute penalty to guide the Rebels into the next round of the FA Cup at Dartford this afternoon.

The Rebels were underdogs for the second qualifying round tie and had lost 3-0 to the Darts in their last competitive fixture, the play-off eliminator back in July.

But on this occasion, they produced an excellent team display and were rewarded for their work rate when Ada Okorogheye was tripped in the box and McKnight beat Craig King from the spot.

The tie was deadlocked at the break after an evenly matched half. King gathered easily to keep out Sam Togwell’s header while Charlie Sheringham fired just wide from Barnum-Bobb’s cross for the hosts.

Elliot Romain drew an excellent save from Jack Turner in the 66th minute, but the Rebels remained very much in contention and were peppering Dartford’s goal with efforts from distance. Matt Lench put one just over from 25 yards and Aaron Kuhl also blazed over the bar after McKnight’s effort was charged down.

Dartford might have been celebrating a place in the next round had Berkeley-Agyepong finished off his driving run with a finish in the 88th minute, but Turner did well to save and keep the scores level.

It looked like the tie might be headed for penalty kicks until Okorogheye was upended in the box, and McKnight showed excellent composure under great pressure to send the Rebels through.

Focus now switches to the start of their league campaign and the visit of Hemel Hempstead Town to Arbour Park on Tuesday night.


Bracknell Town 2, Marlow 2 (Bracknell win 4-3 on penalties)

Marlow exited the FA Cup in heart-breaking fashion after losing on penalties to league rivals Bracknell Town.

The Blues looked to be headed on in regulation time when Sebastian Bowerman scored twice in the 18th and 52nd minutes and Curtis Ujah was sent off five minutes before half-time.

However, in front of 389 supporters at Larges Lane they bravely fought back to tie the game through Jordan Brown’s penalty in the 61st minute and James Clark’s equaliser in the 72nd. The tie went straight to penalties and the Robins won the shoot-out 4-3.


Burnham P-P Whyteleafe

The efforts of a team of volunteers proved in vain as Burnham’s FA Cup tie with Whyteleafe at The Gore was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

Volunteers had been working on the surface since 8am and it was hoped the pitch would weather the heavy storm, however, the match officials felt it was not in a playable condition.

The postponed tie will now take place on Monday night. It could yet be moved to Whyteleafe’s ground with the decision to be made tomorrow (Sunday).


Flackwell Heath P-P Holmer Green

Flackwell Heath’s game with Holmer Green in the Hellenic Premier Division was also postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Fairford Town 3, Windsor 2

Windsor’s recent improvement in form was ended by a dramatic late defeat at Fairford Town this afternoon.

The Royalists held a 2-1 lead heading into the final 10 minutes thanks to two goals from Parchment in the 10th and 77th minutes. However, a lapse in concentration allowed Turner-Williams to level matters with six minutes to play and worse was to follow as Watson snatched a winner with almost the last kick, netting in the 95th minute.


Abington Town P-P

Holyport’s game at Abingdon Town in Hellenic League Division 1 East was another to fall foul of the weather. Port are set to host Aldermaston at Summerleaze Village on Tuesday night.


Reading 1, Watford 0

Reading sit second in the Championship table after notching up their four wins from four with a 1-0 victory over Watford.

On this occasion it was the Royals’ team spirit that carried them to all three points against a Hornets side who were also previously unbeaten.

With four minutes of the first half remaining the home side took the lead when Puscas cushioned Holmes’ cross before beating Ben Foster with a deflected left-foot effort.

The Hornets came out for the second half with renewed purpose and a fine save from Rafael denied Kiko Femenia. Reading worked tirelessly to defend their lead and might have extended their advantage with Meite drilling the ball at Foster and Puscas dragging another effort just wide.


Luton Town 2, Wycombe Wanderers 0

Wycombe Wanderers remain without a point in the Championship after losing 2-0 to Luton Town.

The fine margins went against Gareth Ainsworth’s side in this one, with a potential equaliser chalked off moments before Luton sealed the points with their second.

Luton took the lead with a fine strike from Mpanzu in the 59th minute, bending the ball beyond Allsop.

Kashket thought he’d buried a chance to make it 1-1 in the 87th minute but the flag went up for offside and Elliot Lee wrapped up the points a minute later.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles