Maidenhead United well beaten by promotion chasing Boreham Wood

Boreham Wood 4, Maidenhead United 0

Maidenhead United’s concerning run of form continued as they were swept aside 4-0 by promotion chasing Boreham Wood on Saturday.

Having lost heavily at FC Halifax Town (7-4), and home to Dagenham & Redbridge (4-1) in their previous two fixtures, the Magpies were hopeful of raising their game for the trip to Meadow Park.

Manager Alan Devonshire again made a few changes to his starting line-up as he sought a response, with defender Jamie Sendles-White coming straight into the side following his short term move to the club.

United had won 4-1 on their last visit to Meadow Park, when goalkeeper Rhys Lovett managed to get his name on the scoresheet, but there would be no repeat with the Magpies comprehensively outplayed.

They’ve also now conceded 15 goals in their last three games.

Scott Boden netted a brace for the hosts and further strikes from Jacob Mendy and Josh Rees completed a comfortably afternoon for the home side. Victory keeps them hot on the heels of leaders Chesterfield who were 2-0 winners at Solihull Moors.

Wood began brightly and only a goalline clearance prevented Will Evans from giving them a third minute lead.

In-form Josh Kelly wasn't too far away from adding to his season's haul a few minutes later, but he fired over from a difficult angle.

The game was just 19 minutes old when Boreham prized the Magpies defence open, however, with Boden tapping home at the far post from a corner.

The Magpies’ defence was again at sixes and sevens a couple of minutes later but James Holden stood up well to deny Tyrone Marsh. However, the home supporters didn't have to wait long for their side's second as Marsh and Boden combined well to play in Josh Rees who applied a confident finish.

Former Magpie Taye Ashby-Hammond pulled off a fine save to deny Nathan Blissett's header before the break and Maidenhead offered very little in terms of a response after Boden crashed home Wood's third from Kane Smith's cross in the 46th minute.

Further chances followed, with the Magpies managing to scramble the ball clear following a goalmouth scramble with Marsh looking to pounce. Holden then kept the scoreline down as he saved from Marsh.

Maidenhead stirred themselves into action and forced a series of corners, but the ball wouldn't fall for them, and the Wood defence held firm.

Rees fired into the side netting when maybe he should have found the target, but it mattered little as Mendy grabbed his side's fourth with a shot from 30 yards that deflected past a helpless Holden.

Defeat leaves the Magpies 19th in the table, four points above the relegation zone ahead of Tuesday's crucial looking trip to Southend United, the side just below them in the standings.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles