Sat, 21
15 °C
Sun, 22
12 °C
Mon, 23
15 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town lose curtain raiser at home against Kettering Town

Slough Town 1, Kettering Town 2

A superb late strike from James Dobson proved too little, too late as Slough Town crashed to a 2-1 defeat at home to Kettering Town on the opening day of the season.

Dobson crashed home a shot from around 25 yards out in the final minute, but the Rebels were already trailing to goals from Brett Solkhon and Ben Milnes.

The Poppies, who along with Slough will fancy their chances of promotion this season, took the lead just before the half-hour mark when James Brighton’s free-kick was headed into the far corner of the net by Solkhon.

The visitors then pricked the opening day optimism of the 770 fans inside Arbour Park when Milnes fired home their second with two minutes to play to effectively kill off Slough’s chances.


Arlesey Town 0, Marlow 1

Isaac Osei-Tutu netted the only goal of the game as Marlow won their opening Central Division clash at Arlesey Town.

The striker pounced to give the Blues a deserved lead at the break and it was an advantage they held onto until the end.


Fairford Town 2, Flackwell Heath 6

Flackwell Heath netted four second half goals as the Heathens thrashed Fairford Town 6-2 for a first win of the season.

Paul Shone’s men were held to a goalless draw by Woodley United in their curtain raiser at Wilks Park two weeks ago but had little problem finding the net this afternoon.


Tuffley Rovers 1, Windsor 0

Windsor’s bow in the Hellenic Premier Division ended in disappointment as they were beaten 1-0 at Tuffley Rovers.

Most of the game’s talking points occurred in the final minutes when Bradley fired the hosts in front in the 88th minute and Anson got his marching orders for Tuffley two minutes later.


Burnham 2, Highworth Town 6

Burnham were given an illustration of how tough life will be for them in the Hellenic Premier Division as Highworth Town thrashed them 6-2 at home.

The Blues trailed 2-0 at the break and Dan Drewett netted from a Callum Parsons cross to make it 3-0 before Burnham netted twice to suggest a comeback might not be beyond them.

Tom Cole added a fourth for the visitors on 82 minutes, Ash Edenborough headed home a fifth, while Jake Slocombe netted the visitors’ sixth as Burnham completely fell away in the final 10 minutes.


Milton United 3, Holyport 2

Holyport conceded late to go down 3-2 at Milton United in their opening Hellenic League Division 1 East clash, having fought back to draw level the scores at 2-2.

Barry Rake’s side took the lead and missed plenty of chances to extend their advantage before mistakes cost them and they conceded twice before half-time.


Reading 1, Fulham 1

A late Lucas Piazon equaliser denied Reading all three points against Fulham at the Madejski Stadium.

It looked like being an uphill struggle for the Cottagers when Kalas was dismissed for them after just 30 seconds but they gamely played on without conceding before the break.

Liam Kelly swept the home side in front on the hour mark after being teed up by Jo Mendes but they couldn’t find a second goal to kill off Fulham, who nicked a draw when Piazon broke clear to level things up at the death.


Port Vale 2, Wycombe Wanderers 3

Wycombe Wanderers survived a late scare to come away from Port Vale with all three points after a thrilling match.

Adebayo Akinfenwa nodded home Joe Jacobson’s free-kick to put the visitors in front and Paris Cowan-Hall fired home a second in only the 12th minute. The Chairboys’ fans were in dreamland when Luke O’Nien’s cross was diverted in by Akinfenwa for his second of the game midway through the first half.

But Turner pulled one back for Vale in the 88th minute and nerves were frayed when Whitfield rifled a second goal into the top corner for the hosts, however, Wycombe held on for a deserved victory.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles