Tue, 19
13 °C
Wed, 20
15 °C
Thu, 21
14 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town spurn two-goal lead as Chippenham Town battle back for a point

Slough Town 2, Chippenham Town 2

Slough Town allowed a two-goal lead to slip as Chippenham Town fought back for a point at Arbour Park this afternoon.

The Rebels were coasting toward all three points at half-time after goals from Warren Harris and Chris Flood put them in the ascendancy.

Harris fired home after 23 minutes following two blocked efforts from Louie Soares, while Flood curled home the second in the 37th minute after George Wells’ scuffed shot ran into his path.

A superb double save from Puddy prevented Flood from doubling his tally shortly after the interval and it proved a match saving intervention as Town battled back for a point. First Evans was in the right place at the right time to score after the Rebels failed to deal with a 55th minute corner. Then, after a flurry of efforts on the Rebels’ goal, the ball was finally put in by Chippenham’s Rigg in the 76th minute. The visitors had the ball in the net once more on 89 minutes but the strike was disallowed for offside.

Reflecting on Twitter, Jon Underwood said: “Unbelievable first half performance which should not be forgotten in the frustration of the second half. Need to take the positives, learn a few lessons and move on.”

Slough, 10th in the table and still only three points off the play-offs, visit Weston-super-Mare next Saturday.


Marlow 1, Bedfont Sports 0

Marlow edged a tight game at home 1-0 thanks to James Clark’s first half strike.

The Bostik League South Central Division promotion hunters were smarting after last weekend’s 1-0 defeat to Westfield, but they bounced back in the best possible fashion.

Clark’s all-important goal came in the 24th minute and, in front of 120 fans at Oak Tree Road, that was enough for a gritty win. It lifts the Blues back up to third in the table.

They host Milton Keynes Dons in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday night before visiting Hanwell Town on Saturday.


Brackley Town Saints 0, Flackwell Heath 0

It finished honours even as Marcus Richardson’s Flackwell Heath held title hopefuls Brackley Town Saints to a goalless draw away from home.

The Heathens gave as good as they got, creating the better of the first half chances. Taylor fired wide for them early on and the Brackley keeper pulled off a number of smart saves. Sinclair fired just over for Heath in the 49th minute before Brackley rattled the crossbar on the hour mark.

Flackwell have their eagerly anticipated Berks & Bucks Senior Cup quarter-final at home to Reading FC on Tuesday before they get back to league action at Ascot United next Saturday. They’re currently seventh in the table.


Ardley United 1, Windsor 1

Windsor grabbed a late leveller through Kieran Knight as they claimed a draw at Ardley United in the Hellenic Premier Division.

Mick Woodham’s side had fallen behind to a 10th minute strike from Gillett, however they remained in contention until the closing stages when Knight scored from Rob Lazarczuk’s assist in the 86th minute.

It was a decent point on the road for the Royalists who dominated the game in terms of chances.

They go to second placed Brackley Town Saints on Wednesday night and visit fourth placed Wantage Town next Saturday.


Woodley United 1, Burnham 4

League leaders Burnham brought an end to their recent mini-slump with a 4-1 success at Woodley United.

Lucas Sinclair’s brace saw them recover from falling behind before goals from Dean Allen and Oliver Harris wrapped up another routine league win. They’re now 15 points clear of their closest challengers in Hellenic League Division 1 East ahead of their next scheduled league game at home to Chinnor on February 2. They go to Kidlington Development in the BSSC Cup on Monday night.


Holyport 0, Wokingham & Emmbrook 0

In the same division Holyport played out a goalless draw with Wokingham & Emmbrook in a scrappy game of few chances.

Alan Akerman came closest to a breakthrough for Port with a shot that was pushed away and a header just over the bar.

Fifth placed Holyport visit Malmesbury Victoria next Saturday in the BSSC Cup.


Derby County 2, Reading 1

Sone Aluko netted what proved a consolation for Reading in the second half as the Royals lost 2-1 at Derby County this afternoon.

Jose Gomes found his side two-goals down at the interval after goals from Duane Holmes and Harry Wilson but the Royals managed to restore a little pride – if not points – when good pressing from Ejaria led to Aluko coolly converting in the 67th minute.

Defeat means the Royals remain in the bottom three in 22nd place. They go to fellow strugglers Bolton Wanderers on January 29.


Bristol Rovers 0, Wycombe Wanderers 1

Sido Jombati nodded in Joe Jacobson’s corner to earn Wycombe Wanderers all three points at Bristol Rovers.

The game’s only goal came in the 57th minute, with Jombati squeezing in a header after the cross had evaded everyone else in the box.

His goal chalked up successive victories for the Chairboys and it was also their first away clean sheet of the season.

Wycombe, 11th in League 1, host Plymouth Argyle next Saturday.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles