Tue, 29
18 °C
Wed, 30
17 °C
Thu, 01
14 °C

Football round-up: Hampton leave it late to deny Slough Town all three points

Hampton & Richmond Borough 1, Slough Town 1

Hosts Hampton & Richmond Borough left it late to deny the Rebels all three points, Marcel Barrington levelling matters deep into stoppage time.

The play-off chasing Rebels took the lead before half-time when Sam Togwell flicked on a cross to score his second of the season after 25 minutes.

Matt Lench’s thunderous volley flew just wide of the mark as the Rebels went searching a second before the interval. And they missed the chance to pocket all three points in the 64th minute when Chris Flood was sent through and squared the ball for Lench, whose effort flew over the bar.

The game became increasingly stretched in the final 15 minutes as the hosts worked their way back into the contest. Chris Dickson shot over for them with eight minutes to go, while Jack Turner made a superb save to preserve Slough’s lead in the 89th minute. If they thought they’d done enough to win they were sadly mistaken with Barrington popping up at the death to frustrate the visitors.

Afterwards Neil Baker tweeted: “Absolute killer to concede with the last kick of the game. Feels very similar to Hereford last year. Game management kills us. We run the ball into the corner and we win the game. It’s as simple as that. 92 minutes plus that was an excellent away performance. Totally gutted.”

Slough, 12th, are seven points off the play-off places ahead of Tuesday’s home game against Gloucester City.


Wokingham & Emmbrook 2, Holyport 1

Holyport were hit by injuries and ill-fortune as they went down to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Wokingham & Emmbrook this afternoon.

Derek Sweetman’s side took the lead in the first half through Steven Deverall’s finish but were weakened by injuries to Daniel Rapley and Alan Akerman, who both had to be replaced.

The visitors twice hit the post in the second half but it wasn’t their day. Harris levelled matters for the Sumas with a deflected shot before Holland smashed home the winner from the edge of the box late on.

Holyport host Chalvey Sports in the Supplementary Cup on Tuesday night. They then host derby rivals Burnham at Summerleaze Village on Saturday.


Burnham 3, Lydney Town 3 (Burnham go through 3-2 on penalties AET)

Burnham are through to the next round of the Supplementary Cup after beating Lydney Town on penalty kicks at The Gore.

Kian Duncan scored the winning penalty as the Blues won the shoot-out 3-2.

It followed a thrilling 3-3 draw after extra-time in a contest which saw the hosts play out the final minutes of extra-time with only nine men after Lucas Sinclair and George Weller were dismissed.

Lydney took the lead through Tom Handley’s strike in the 27th minute before Burnham hit back a minute later through Kyle Mifsud. Lydney edged in front again before Sinclair levelled matters with a goal of the season contender, a brilliant overhead kick.

With the sides locked at 2-2 the game went into extra-time. The Blues nudged back in front thanks to another well taken goal from Sinclair before Lydney forced penalties with a last-gasp equaliser on 120 minutes.

League leaders Burnham visit Holyport on Saturday.


Sheffield Wednesday 0, Reading 0

Both sides had their chances as relegation threatened Reading FC held Sheffield Wednesday to a goalless draw at Hillsborough.

The Owls had the game’s golden chance to win it in the 94th minute but Adam Reach couldn’t keep his shot down after being played in on goal.

The Royals had a couple of big chances in the second half when first Sone Aluko was crowded out after being played in by Lewis Baker in the 49th minute. Then Garath McCleary had a go from the edge of the area in the 54th minute but his shot flew just wide.

Emiliano Martinez kept the Royals in the game before half-time, saving brilliantly to deny Sam Hutchinson from close range in the 44th minute. He also saved well from Steven Fletcher midway through the half.

Reading remain third from bottom and in the relegation zone ahead of Wednesday’s home game against Blackburn Rovers.


Luton Town 3, Wycombe Wanderers 0

A first half goal from James Collins and a late George Moncur brace saw Wycombe Wanderers fall to defeat against the league leaders.

The Hatters took the lead when Collins converted Stacey’s cross at the near post on 33 minutes. The Chairboys remained in the game until the 84th minute when Moncur scored from the rebound to make the game safe. He then made it 3-0 in the 87th minute to rubber-stamp Luton’s superiority.

10th placed Wycombe visit Luton’s closest title rivals Barnsley next Saturday.


Marlow’s game at Molesey this afternoon was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Marlow are due to host Milton Keynes Dons in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup quarter-final on Wednesday night before welcoming Tooting & Mitcham United to Oak Tree Road in the league next Saturday.


Flackwell Heath’s Hellenic Premier Division clash against Reading City FC at Rivermoor also succumbed to the wet weather. The postponed clash will be rearranged in due course.

Flackwell are due to host Reading FC in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Tuesday night. They’re then at home to Fairford Town on Saturday in the league.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles