Football round-up: Underwood felt 'physically sick' after late sucker punch against Chippenham

Slough Town 0, Chippenham Town 1

Slough Town joint boss Jon Underwood says he felt physically sick after the Rebels were on the wrong end of the game’s fine margins in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Chippenham Town at Arbour Park.

In a game between two well-matched sides, Slough must have thought they would take all three points when Gabe George’s shot was handled in the area and the referee pointed to the spot in the 83rd minute.

But Eitel Goueth’s spot-kick was well saved by Will Henry and in a cruel twist of fate the Rebels were beaten in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Ross Stearn followed in on a shot to turn home the winner.

Before the game sparked into life in the final 10 minutes, the two teams traded chances. Goueth volleyed over when well placed in the sixth minute while Tom Derry saw his 25th minute effort saved after George Hunt and Goueth linked up well in the middle of the pitch to release him.

Rebels’ keeper Jonathan North pulled off a fine save to tip over Alex Bray’s dipping drive in the 34th minute and the sides went in level at the break. Hunt made a goal-saving tackled to deny Chippenham a certain goal from Stearn’s pull back in the 68th minute before the Rebels began to get on top in the closing stages. However, they passed up a great chance to claim a second win of the season when Goueth’s penalty was saved.

This second defeat of the season leaves the side 17th in the table. They return to action at Welling United on Saturday.

“I feel physically sick, it’s the worst way to lose a game,” Underwood said in his post-match interview with the club.

“94th minute it was, there was nothing left on the clock. I disagree that it was a 0-0 match, I thought it had 1-0 Slough written all over it personally. Maybe I’m biased as manager.

“Their assistant manager just said they’d have been delighted with a point from that game and sort of apologized to us, which is nice of him but doesn’t make you feel any better.”

Joint boss Neil Baker also tweeted: “Still can’t believe we got beat yesterday. We were a penalty kick away from potentially sitting in the top seven. Football is about fine margins, and we were on the wrong end of them.

“Think we will keep improving and with two or three coming back there were also plenty of positives.”


Marlow return to Isthmian League South Central League action this afternoon (Monday) with a trip to local rivals Chalfont St Peter.

The Blues crushed South Park 3-0 at home on the opening day of the season, but didn’t play on Saturday, when Chalfont were hammered 5-1 by Chipstead.

Marlow will be looking for victory to maintain their impressive start to the season and to build confidence further ahead of Saturday’s trip to Sheppey United in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup. The Blues defeated Slimbridge 3-0 in the final preliminary round. Sheppey and Marlow have never met in the competition before, but the Blues have made it past the first qualifying round in three of the past four seasons.


North Greenford United 2, Windsor 1

A late Danny Horscroft goal couldn’t prevent Windsor from going down to a 2-1 defeat at North Greenford United on Saturday.

The Royalists conceded twice in the first half to give themselves a mountain to climb and although they battled well in the second period, Horscroft’s 84th minute strike proved to be a consolation.

O’Brien was also sent off in stoppage time after he collected a second booking. Windsor currently sit sixth in the table having won three of their five matches to date.

They’re back in action this morning (Monday) against Virginia Water at Stag Meadow (11.30am kick-off).


Wembley 4, Burnham 0

Burnham suffered an ignominious first defeat of the Combined Counties Premier Division North season, losing 4-0 to Wembley.

The Lions took flight to pick up their first home win of the season with all four goals coming after the half-time interval. Larrington slotted home their first from the penalty spot midway through the half before Jonathan Iley applied a simple finish to double the lead. Jermaine Heron made it 3-0 in the 82nd minute before Alfie Bates’ first goal for the club well and truly wrapped up the points as Ash James’ Blues fell apart late on.

They’ll go in search of a second win of the season at home to CB Hounslow United this afternoon (Monday).


Hanworth Villa 5, Holyport 0

Holyport conceded twice in quick succession to give themselves an uphill task in Saturday’s 5-0 defeat to Hanworth Villa.

A third followed for Villa just before half-time and the home side went on to complete the rout in the second half. Sam Merson netted a couple of Villa’s goals with Ben Merson also on target while Theo Crawford marked his return to the side with a goal.

Port have struggled for form on their return to step five, losing three of their four matches to date, and they face another tricky test at home to second placed Edgeware Town on Saturday.


New Salamis FC UK A-A Flackwell Heath (Match abandoned)

Flackwell Heath’s game against New Salamis FC UK on Saturday was abandoned in the second half following a serious injury to Heath’s Aiden Higgs.

Heath were trailing 2-0 when the game was abandoned in the 54th minute after Higgs sustained a painful looking injury to his ankle/lower leg.

Initial assessments from hospital suggest that he’s suffered a bad sprain and suspected fracture and he was due to visit the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for further X-rays on Sunday.

Flackwell thanked New Salamis for their help and understanding after the game was called off and also thanked Heathens’ head physio Stacia for her calm approach to a difficult situation and her treatment of Aiden.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles