Sun, 24
4 °C
Mon, 25
5 °C
Tue, 26
6 °C

Rebels rescued by the weather against Havant and Waterlooville

Neil Baker and Jon Underwood would have hoped they would mark their 500th game in management with a result to boost Slough Town’s promotion hopes.
But torrential downpours rained on the bosses’ parade forcing Saturday’s match against Havant and Waterlooville to be abandoned in the second half with the Rebels 2-0 down.

In dreadful conditions, the Hawks opened the scoring on the 39th minute when Jonah Ayunga latched onto a back pass and struck home a finish past Slough keeper Jack Turner.

The Rebels had their chances and Matt Lench was denied a chance to equalise just a minute later by an impressive save from Worner.

Ayunga added to his tally and extended Havant’s lead on the 65th minute with the points looking firmly secured by the hosts. But by that stage, the pitch was already becoming unplayable and referee Aji Ajibola made the decision to bring a halt to proceedings 20 minutes from full time with the Hawks two goals to the good.

Baker insists the weather adversely affected his team’s usual standard and believes the decision to abandon the game was the right one calling the occasion ‘a complete farce’.

“It was definitely the right decision,” said Baker. “It was probably the right thing to start the game because you can’t bank that the rain is going to come down.”

“But the match just shouldn’t have carried on in the second half. There were sheets of rain that came down at the beginning which just made it a complete farce.

“You should be able to play football as you normally would and we weren’t able to because the pitch was waterlogged and unplayable.

“The fact of the matter is nobody could keep their footing. The referee had actually slipped himself in the lead up to the second goal and couldn’t keep his feet either, so he called it off soon after.

“They (H&W) were obviously really disappointed as they were in front,” added Baker. “But if they’re honest with themselves the pitch wasn’t playable and it wasn’t conducive to football.”

On Tuesday, the Rebels hosted a friendly against National League opposition Aldershot Town. In somewhat improved playing conditions to those of the weekend, the Shots ran out winners in a lively affair, securing a 4-2 victory with Connor Shields netting a hat-trick.

The Rebels travel to Chippenham tomorrow (Saturday), a team Baker is familiar with from their recent encounters in the FA Cup.
“We haven’t had an awful lot of luck against Chippenham since we’ve been managing,” added Baker. “We had two very tight games in the FA Cup against them recently.”

“It will be two well matched sides. If we can come away with anything there, it’ll be a good day.”

Kick-off is at 3pm.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles