Security concerns after man is shot at festival held at Windsor Racecourse

David Lee


Criticism has been levelled at the security of a festival at Windsor Racecourse where a man was shot at the weekend.

The Tea Party Festival, which took place on Saturday, saw partygoers rave for 10 hours at the racecourse to the sound of top DJs including Sigma and Radio 1Xtra’s Mista Jam.

But the event turned sour when a 27-year-old man was shot in the chest at about 8.30pm following a disturbance on the dance floor of the venue’s VIP tent.

Festivalgoers then spilled out onto the streets when the party finished, with one passing motorist saying he saw people ‘staggering’ along the road.

Dedworth resident Mark David told the Express: “I was coming home about half past midnight and there were groups of people staggering all along Maidenhead Road towards the town.

“I was waiting at the zebra crossing as I was not sure what a lot of their intentions were as they were so drunk.

“I think the racecourse exit could have been staffed better. I drove down the road slowly as I did not want to be liable for anyone who wobbled into the road in front of me.

“Where were the police? Nowhere to be seen.”

Thames Valley Police say the shooting victim heard a ‘cap gun’ sound and then realised he had been hurt. He was taken to hospital where his condition was described as stable.

Investigators are still hunting the gunman who is described as a black man, believed to be in his thirties.

Police want to speak to anyone who may have captured photo or video footage of the incident. Contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 with information.

A spokesman from Windsor Racecourse said: “Security is an issue that we take very seriously at Royal Windsor Racecourse. In conjunction with the relevant external bodies, we keep procedures under review as necessary.”

A statement from the Tea Party Team said: “Regrettably we are unable to comment on the incident that occurred at The Tea Party Festival on Saturday, August 13 while the Thames Valley Police continue their investigation. We remain in contact with them and are pleased to hear the gentleman involved is out of hospital and recovering well.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles