Youth football: Maidenhead Warriors clinch 8-0 win over George Green Juniors

Maidenhead Warriors u11s



There were goals aplenty in the Thames Valley Development League on Sunday, with the Maidenhead Warriors u11s romping to an 8-0 win against George Green Juniors. Dominating from the start, the Warriors netted five first half goals courtesy of Kellen Hogg, Skai Rodrigues, Martino Coletti and Caden Lawson (two). Three further goals were scored after the interval with Caden completing his hat-trick and the others coming from Rodrigues and Luke Spiteri.

Burnham Juniors Tigers White comfortably beat Marish Wizards 5-1 to remain top of their group, two points ahead of the Maidenhead Warriors. The other group game saw Maidenhead United Colts draw 3-3 with Harefield United Blacks.

In the u13s league the Burnham Junior Sabres White were crowned Division 2 champions after an emphatic 11-1 win over Golden Eagles Flyers. The Flyers took the lead thanks to a well-taken penalty from Frankie Runham but Burnham proved too strong, surging back with four unanswered goals before half-time and maintaining the pressure to score seven more after the interval. The scoreline would have been even greater were it not for some heroic goalkeeping from the Flyers’ Oscar Kakareko.

The other Division 2 game resulted in a 4-0 win for Frontline Juniors over Maidenhead United Cobras.

In Division 1 top of the table Golden Eagles fought back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with FC Cippenham Leopards. Cippenham raced into a first half lead, scoring three good goals on the counterattack, but the Eagles got themselves back into it with a goal from Mmoloki Chiwiyu and a penalty from Gabriel Shekiluwa-Cardoso. They were then awarded a second penalty, very late in the game, and Gabriel kept his composure to slot home his second with seconds to spare. Elsewhere in Division 1 Berkshire Elite Black cruised to a 5-1 win over FC Holyport Warriors and Burnham Junior Sabres Yellow were also 5-1 winners over Chalfont Saints United at home. Townmead Youth drew 1-1 with Harefield United Youth.

In the second round of the u12s League Cup, Burnham Juniors Lynx White defeated FC Baylis Cubs on penalties after the match was drawn 2-2. Their counterparts, Lynx Blue, beat Singh Sabha 3-0, while the Cookham Dean Rebels also progressed after a 3-0 away win at FC Cippenham Panthers.



Maidenhead Boys & Girls u14s Panthers cup run was brought to an end by FC Bracknell Youth following a 7-3 home defeat, however, the Panthers had only nine players with several missing through COVID.

Despite being understrength they played well for long periods and managed to score three goals through Rowan Sellman (two) and Senna Anagho. Player of the match went to Noah Towers-Goodman, but all of the team came out of the tie with credit.

Manager Roland McGill said afterwards: “Well, that is the end of our cup run but the nine boys out there today put in a great performance against full strength opponents two divisions above us.

“We certainly gave them a fright and for long period we matched or bettered them.

“With a full team I'm certain we would be in the next round - pesky Covid.

“Next week we have the chance to finish the year on top of the league.

“If we play with today's spirit and have missing players back then we should be OK.”

Elsewhere the u16s Colts were 4-1 winners over Laurel Park Hurricanes at home. The u15s Vipers lost 2-1 away to the AFC Henley Hurricanes while the u14s Sharks beat Eversley & California Youth Raiders 4-2 away. The u14s Dolphins eased through to the next round of the league cup after a 5-2 away win at South Reading.

The u13s Jaguars lost 3-0 away to Ashridge Park, the u12s Scorpions also lost their league cup match 5-2 to Dynamo Tekkers Black.

The u12s Wolverines backed up their cup win over Pangbourne Youth Phoenixes with a 2-1 league win at the weekend while there were three wins and a draw for the club’s girls’ teams.

The u12s drew 2-2 at home with Sandhurst Town. The u13s secured a huge 9-3 home win over Thatcham Tornadoes and the u14s Girls Mavericks beat Flackwell Heath Lionesses 3-2 at home. There was also an impressive 4-1 home win for the u16s Girls over Tilehurst Panthers Reds.



The horrible winter weather and the even more horrible ‘you-know-what’ put paid to some fixtures but those teams who did get onto the pitch did the club proud this weekend.

U7 Colts played a very close trophy game at home to Ashridge Park. Coach Lee reports: “Ashridge must have had their weetabix this morning as they came flying out the blocks in the first quarter but some good goalkeeping from Jairaj and important tackles from Cody helped Colts settle into the game and react positively with skilful goals from Stanley. Second quarter Billy drove Colts forward with some nice dribbling. Ashridge pulled a goal back before Stanley completed his hat-trick. Third quarter was goalless with Josiah impressing in the Colts defence with some strong tackles and nice passes forward. Fourth quarter Sam worked hard in the Colts midfield and made lots of tackles. Towards the end of the game Colts lost concentration a few times and Ashridge took advantage pulling a late goal back but Colts held on for a deserved result. POTM all the players today.

It was a great result against all odds for the U8 Diamonds this weekend against AFC Reading Jets, with only 5 players and away in the Cup against a team from the top division. The team took the adversity in their stride and produced a battling display that made all the supporters proud. Recognising the challenge before them, Diamonds scrapped playing out from the back for a more direct route one style and caught the opposition off guard on several occasions, one of which led to a decisive penalty. With something to defend the team rallied to fend of the Reading Jets and rode their luck a little to see out the match. A great way to round off a largely successful 2021 for the Diamonds!

U8 Magpies were away to Binfield Pumas in the cup. Coach Matt reports: “The Magpies were amazing today, all of them. Great passing and communicating and you can really see their training coming into the game. A well taken corner gave Maidenhead the lead and the Division 1 team were worried! As the game progressed into the 2nd half the intensity of the Pumas tackling increased and they started winning more of the 50:50 balls, eventually resulting in them taking the lead. However, in truth, this was a game where the Magpies played better passing football throughout and just very minor lapses in concentration was the difference. The win was not to be but the Magpies can hold their heads high to a very closely contested game. POTM went to Freddie today for his wonderful goal and efforts on the wing. However, it must be said that every player played their part to make me proud coaching this great team. Yes it’s nice to win but watching the rapid development is even better. Well done all.”

U8 Falcons went into their last match before Xmas in good form and looking forward to taking on Hawley Colts from a division above and according to their coach unbeaten since last Xmas! Coach Paul informs us: “The Falcons went about their usual business, pressing and harrying front the front, busy and fierce in midfield and solid at the back. Yes, the Colts did look to have a very good player, maybe best we played against all season but we kept him quiet and made sure we closed him down quickly - thanks for the heads up from Phil, our U8 colts manager! Leo’s persistence and determination chasing a lost cause got him the first, his twin bro Alex then scoring a brace including a superb first time shot from a Tomasz corner, put the Falcons in control. A breakaway goal from Henry and another from Leon rounded off the scoring, but there was still time for our opponents to put on an extra player and score a consolation. Clearly not used to losing, our opponents got increasingly frustrated with some bad and late tackles going in but the Falcons did themselves proud in not reacting and staying cool to the end. So proud of the boys in our first season doing so well and improving massively since our first somewhat disjointed performances . Looking forward to a break then go again in January!”

Game 12 in the journey for the U8 Colts today and just before we break for Christmas they got the result they have been so deserving of, probably since the start of November. Coach Phil reports: “It’s been a steep learning curve for them, conceding 32 in the first 4 games, but as I’ve put many weeks their attitude and improvement has been top class. Today, they controlled the game from start to finish bar a succession of corners and a couple of breakaways in the second Q. We’d asked them recently for the striker to press the first ball out from their GK. Today we asked the MF to anticipate the next pass and we won the ball time and time again in the opposition half. So much improvement in getting their head up to find the final ball, with some of the passes to create chances superb. On another day we score 5 or 6 but not one players, coach or parent cared at full time as we jumped about like crazy to celebrate a very satisfying result. Development phase is all about learning but the kids have deserved that feeling of getting a win.”

Under 8 Hawks played Harefield Whites. Coach Daniel reports: “Before the game after the warm up I pulled the boys in and spoke about last week and how we have to be already playing before the whistle to start. They took it on board as they do with most things to be fair. Harefield took the centre and from the word go all three of my attackers pressed and gave them no time to settle. Alfie got a 50/50 in midfield and won it nutmeged the defender and slipped it into the corner after 2 minutes. Harefield kicked off again and ran into our half, a really good tackle from Hector fell to another Harefield player, Jamie covers the ground took the ball off of his boot from his touch took a touch and played a nice ball to Alfie on the left wing who found himself in lots of space which he attacked, drove into the box and shot which hit our same nemesis – the post. The rebound was good to us and fell just out of Alfie’s run, he slid and placed it under the goal-keeper. This lead to a bit of time where there was some good play from both teams, two minutes from the end of the quarter they had a goal kick they played it to their defender and very good closing down by Jamie made him panic and kicked it into Jamie, Jamie got onto the rebound and nutmegged the goal keeper. Quarter 2, some equal play from both teams and some good opportunities for both teams. Four minutes in and from a Harefield attack Hector - who was solid all game - won a tackle and from my shout ran down the line, leaving opposing players in his wake, he got to the byline and released a fantastic shot at a very tight angle and off the far post and in. A couple of minutes later Harefield got into our box and hit a good top bins over victor. From the kick off, Jamie charged into their half clearly upset with the goal against. He took a touch around the defender an produced a beautiful chip over there keeper just under the bar. Quarter 3, Harefield had the extra player on again and two minutes in found a rhythm with their passing they got right up close several times, and scored an avoidable miss hit which went past Victor. From the kick off the ball came out to Hector who again was off down the pitch and hit a lovely top bins. Harefield with the extra player back on were again showing some good stuff and attacked our goal, a good shot and victor saved. Then something bizarre. On his kick the ball went up not out, Jamie took a bad touch and the ball dribbled out to their player who hit the bottom corner. Just before the end of the half Jamie ran down the wing cut in and hit a mid height shot into the goal. During the break before Quarter 4 I said to the boys let’s concentrate on defending this quarter and with some equal play, no more oddities and some good chances but the game ended with our first win. Player of the match went to Alfie but could have been anyone today.”

U9 Colts have been working on pass and move almost exclusively in training for the past few weeks. Coach Richard: “It was so pleasing to see them bring what they’ve been working on into the game today away at Harefield despite the heavy boggy pitch. The boys raced into the lead with POTM Finnley – twice - and James scoring their first goals for the team. Time and again the boys played with their heads up and made good decisions, to a man. It’s so difficult when there’s a mis match in abilities and we’ve been on the wrong side of a few of these games so we took the opportunity to really mix things up and play everyone in their least preferred positions and have them add an extra player to try to even things up. Rory continued his recent good form getting a hat trick, Jake was terrier like, Jack directed operations as always, Nat used his tricks and good feet to great effect. Albert played in defence and was outstanding yet again. Sully who loves to defend was excellent in midfield driving forward at every opportunity. Fin scored with a nice run and finish and then Joe who has been so close in the last few games got his first goal with a right footed rifle from the edge of the box. Highlights of the day for me was the way all the boys celebrated and congratulated the new boys goals with real joy! Lovely bunch….made up for all them.”

U10 Vipers went behind within the first few minutes after giving a penalty for a very unlucky hand ball. Vipers hot back though with some great ball control from Kyle which led to a well executed goal. A huge throw in from Will nearly led to a 2nd goal, but it was Magizh who put it into the net. Vipers took some pressure from Reading Tornadoes with a good save from Lucas, but they managed to pull it back by half time. The second half saw a lot of corners for the Vipers and great effort from all the team. There were three more goals from Magizh, James and Will. Players of the week Ruby and Zayn.

U10 Whites played their final Cup match of 2021 away to Winnersh Rangers. The Whites started brightly with two long-range strikes that were smartly saved by the Winnersh keeper. Winnersh opened the scoring when their striker received the ball on the edge of the area, turned and finished with a powerful shot into the corner of the net. The Whites did not let their heads go down and on an uneven and challenging pitch, played some great passing football. The equaliser came from a well-placed corner which was unluckily deflected into his own net by a Winnersh defender. The Whites then scored another after a cross-field pass found our striker who cut inside and hit a rasping shot into the net. The third goal came when our striker nutmegged one player, then beat a second defender before putting a great cross in for his teammate to slide in and score. The fourth and final Whites goal arrived in the third quarter from a clinical finish after some skilful dribbling and clever link-up play. Players’ MOTM was Bradley for his brilliant brace, skills and precise passes. Manager’s POTM was Dougie for his determined defending which stopped Winnersh in their tracks. Coach Byron said “the boys should be so proud of what they have achieved so far this season. Not just in terms of results, only losing once in 14 games, but in terms of their performances. The boys are playing as a team and have scored several excellent goals after great build up play. Defensively they have been tenacious, determined and resilient. Looking forward to where we left off in 2022”.

Another close game for the U11 Colts in their group with all 5 games ending with no more than 1 goal in it. Coach Matt explains: “Great for the boys to play against the right level for their own development. This team has really grown in confidence to keep the ball when in possession, finding ways to beat their opponent more often. It's not tika taka football but it's an improvement and I will take that! We created numerous opportunities in the 1st half but couldn't find a finish as Harefield used the counter-attack well and score both times. However these boys have also grown their team spirit and encourage each other well when we go behind with leaders coming to the fore. Josh scored twice from the edge of the box to level things up before Gus managed to lob the keeper to put the Colts ahead. Credit to Harefield, they responded and kept finding space down the right which the boys didn't spot and left themselves exposed. GK Harry was very hard to beat 1v1 and deserved the POTM award for his consistency. The goal did come with 1 minute left to finish an entertaining match. The boys were rightly proud of their performance but also identified where they can improve straight after showing good maturity. One more group game to go with a chance to push on again.”

U12 Falcons were in cup action against Ickenham. Coach Alan tells us: “Down to the bare 9, the result didn't do the boys justice. Behind at the break, the boys came out and dominated the 2nd half. Totally against the run of play they scored a second through a "looper". I have lost count of how many loopers over small GK we have suffered this season but here we went again. Down to the bare bones I wasn't sure how the boys would react. The reaction should never have been in doubt. They then proceeded to batter Ickenham. Wave after wave, shot after shot. And then the moment came with about 2 mins left. The ball came in from the left, the goal was gaping but it wasn't to be. They broke straight down the pitch to finish the game off. The whistle blew pretty much straight after. Don't underestimate how good the boys were. Ickenham are 4th in a division which has nothing but high quality teams. And today we dominated them. We see them again next week in the league. Confidence is up as are the boys.”

U13 Stripes had an early start away at Beaconsfield Town FC. Coach Mark reports: “A newly refurbished stadium and a cracking surface to play on and one that really supported a passing game. In a game of 2 different styles, Beaconsfield used their physical advantage and opted for long diagonal balls over the top. Stripes struggled to solve the problem or to effectively impose themselves as a unit on the game. This lead to forced passes, decision making challenged with players opting for high risk play. The first half saw minimal Maidenhead attacking threat, not to mention a lot of running out of possession. Beaconsfield took a 3-0 lead into half time. Stripes pushed back well in the second half and looked more threatening, imposing themselves all over the park. Critically, they got the ball down and played with more purpose - and worked well as units. Winning 2 early free kicks in dangerous areas and playing more of the game in the final third. They just could not beat the keeper and get the important 1st goal back to build momentum. Into the closing stages and it was looking like a goalless second half but Beaconsfield grabbed one more goal from a set piece phase before the final whistle. POTM went to Murphy who stood out for his grit and determination throughout and composure on the ball to move the opposition.”

U13 Cobras travelled to Upton Court Park to play Frontline. Coach Alastair files the following report: “Only ten players made themselves available for the match and made a good start with a competitive opening fifteen minutes. Frontline started to dominate and scored two quick goals to go in at half time on top. The second half played out with Frontline securing the victory with a penalty and fine finish from a narrow angle by their number nine. The ten Cobras that turned up kept going and were unlucky not to get a consolation goal as they continued to press.”U15 Diamonds travelled to Teddington and won 3-2 to progress in the Cup. Coach Simon reports: “POTM went to Ibi, after your broken arm you have come back so strong and at 4’10 you continue to be the little man with the biggest stride. Warning the Ninja is back!”

A win and turn of fortune still evades the U15 Blades, who lost 2-4, playing at home to Aylesbury Dynamos. Spells of really good football, but just not enough to break down Dynamos, who were physically stronger on the ball. A great free kick from Tom saw Blades get one back in the second half, followed by a last minute second from Ollie, but Dynamos came away winners.

U16 Magpies reached the quarter finals of the cup after a thrilling 3-2 victory in Teddington. ‘Director of Football’ James reports: “We weren’t quite ourselves in the 1st half and conceded 2 scrappy goals although we could have scored if it wasn’t for some fine goal keeping and goal line clearances from the Hearts of Teddlothian defence. A half time reshuffle saw us dominate the 2nd half. Samuel pulled one back after Ben F had a shot spilled by the keeper. Ed then ran the length of the pitch only to be tripped in the penalty area and Nishaan put away the resulting spot kick. Samuel then completed the comeback with a fine finish. Ed picked up the player of the match award for a great performance in midfield. This was a game we’d have lost last season but the boys are showing a huge amount of desire every week this year stepping onto the pitch with a great attitude.”

Coach Gaz tells us that his U17 Colts “Smashed their way into the quarter finals of the league cup with a game against division two Curley Park Rangers.” Gaz continues: “The Colts started off well, pressing and battling hard in the middle of the park. Nice passing from the midfield saw the ball find Patrick who managed to get his shot off for the keeper to save only for the ball to find its way to Callum who slotted home pass a stranded keeper. The second goal started from a lovely over the top pass by Luca which beat the defence and found chiba in plenty of space. 2-0 Colts. Towards the end of the first the Colts were on the back foot with Curley pushing forward. The defence managed to hold them off for Curley only having shots from outside the box. Second half started off as the first. Josh and Callum battling hard in the centre of the park. Curley opting for the long ball but not getting pass Sam and Charlie. Excellent play from Callum who found Josh who played a lovely down the wing to Luca who crossed into the box to find captain Patrick who smashed the ball home. 3-0. The fourth goal was well deserved with a great run Callum who found himself in the penalty box only the to be brought down. Penalty. Patrick handed the ball to Callum who stepped up and sent to keeper the wrong way. 4-0. Great teamwork from all the boys today.”

Under 18 Ravens started a little shaky conceding within the first 5 mins, but then went on to grow into the game, managing to make good of a great goal kick from Gemma to put Jess through on goal to finish nicely on 20 mins. Tilehurst played some nice football and managed to make that count, getting their second on 35 minutes. Second half - Ravens continued to defend well with some great saves, they had their fair share of opportunities, but they defended well making it difficult to convert. Clean sheet in second half should boost Ravens confidence, as should this great performance. POTM: Vicky McDonagh.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles