08:55AM, Friday 18 January 2013
Victorious campaigners in a Dedworth community are all smiles after a developer scrapped plans to demolish their only shop.
More than 1,200 neighbours signed a petition last year as part of a campaign to save Windsor News in The Parade, Ruddlesway.
Now Paradigm Housing Group says it will soon submit plans to the Royal Borough for permission to build 14 family homes on the plot, including revamping Windsor News.
The developer will build a new convenience store along with additional retail space, a new car park, increased storage area and an office.
Initial plans in October were to bulldoze the shop, but householders' led a vehement campaign urging the 'community facility' to be kept.
Campaign leader and owner Bill Cheema, who has run Windsor News for 25 years, said he has received notification of the developer's plans and is planning to stay.
He said: "It [keeping the shop] is something they should always have taken into consideration and I am pleased our efforts have been fruitful. We are pleased they have listened to our concerns."The battle over the shop has been ongoing for at least at decade. The Royal Borough gave the go-ahead to Paradigm for a development on the site nearly six years ago, but planning permission expired in 2009.
Top Ten Articles
The Royal Borough will ask Government to raise its status in the three-tier coronavirus alert system from Medium to High next week.