Fri, 06
13 °C
Sat, 07
10 °C
Sun, 08
12 °C

Fire at care home started in elderly resident's room

Fire at care home started in elderly resident's room

Francis Batt

Fire at care home started in elderly resident's room

A fire broke out in a care home yesterday.

Emergency services were called to Windsor's Sandown Park Care home in Vale Road after a fire started in an elderly resident's room.

They were called at noon but the fire was out by the time they arrived. The resident was taken to hospital but released after a check-up.

Paul Ware, who is chief operating officer for the Life Style Care chain of care homes, said staff had been alerted by smoke alarms and had been able to put a small fire out at once with only minimal smoke damage.

It appeared to have been accidentally started.

Sandown Park was celebrating this week after a report prepared by the Care Quality Commission found the home - under manager Shahnaaz Mohamad - met all its standards for the care and welfare of its residents. It has room for 80 residents.

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles

M4 closures this weekend

M4 closures this weekend

The motorway will be out of action from junction 6 for Slough and 8/9, Maidenhead from 8pm tomorrow night (Friday), until 6am Monday.