Fri, 20
14 °C
Sat, 21
15 °C
Sun, 22
12 °C

Result of traveller inquiry delayed for another month

Result of traveller inquiry delayed for another month

Francis Batt

Result of traveller inquiry delayed for another month
Newtonside

Old Windsor parish council chairman Jane Dawson says she is disillusioned and angry after attending a public inquiry into plans for a controversial travellers' caravan site.

The inquiry was held to hear Fred Sines' appeal against the Royal Borough's refusal to allow him to put five traveller homes on land at Newtonside Orchard in Burfield Road.

The inquiry also considered an appeal against a borough enforcement order calling for the removal of caravans, mobile homes, motor homes and tents already on the site.

The hearing started on Tuesday last week at Windsor Racecourse and was supposed to end Friday.

But Cllr Dawson says villagers who came to state their opposition to the traveller homes plan became increasingly frustrated as constant delays and legal wrangling slowed proceedings down.

At 5.30pm on Friday appeals inspector Clive Kirkbride adjourned the still unfinished proceedings until Friday, May 17 at Maidenhead Town Hall for the two sides to summarise their arguments.

Cllr Dawson said the whole inquiry had left her feeling disillusioned.

She said: "We do not seem to be any nearer to a solution on this matter and the residents feel the same."

Cllr Dawson warned at the inquiry that the proposed traveller caravans could cause a flooding threat.

When the inquiry finally ends, the inspector will make a report to the Secretary of State who will make the final decision.

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles