12:34PM, Tuesday 04 June 2013
Standards at The Windsor Boys School have slipped as too much attention has been focussed on cutting the budget deficit.
A shock report by government Ofsted inspectors has downgraded the school - which only recently was rated 'outstanding'. The new rating says it 'requires improvement' - only one grade above 'inadequate'.
The report warns 'standards in the sixth form have declined over the last three years and students' progress has been less than expected, especially in A-level courses due to poor results in mathematics and geography'.
This is a blow to a school with such a high reputation as the boys school, although the report praises pupils' behaviour and the sport, music and arts activities.
GCSE results in English and maths are also praised as outstanding and the report acknowledges that the governors are working hard to improve standards, although it suggests they would benefit from more training. It warns that some teachers are not focussing enough attention on helping more able pupils achieve their potential.
The report comes after a turbulent three years for the school which had to accept a loan from the Royal Borough after overspending its resources.
A new headmaster brought in three years ago to sort out the financial crisis left suddenly last summer and acting head Tony Willis has been running the school since. A new permanent head is due to take over in September.
Last week Mr Willis and chairman of governors David Simpson placed a joint letter to parents on the school website, pointing out that all the inspectors' recommendations for improvement are already being taken on board.
The letter said: "We are sure you will be as disappointed as we were to find the judgement is that the school 'requires improvement'.
"We are determined that when Ofsted return in 12 or 18 months time we will have moved a long way down the road towards returning to our 'outstanding' status'."
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.