11:06AM, Friday 27 September 2013
Paul Eliades, of Rydings, Windsor appeared for trial at Reading Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.
The 47-year-old was found guilty of owning a dog, Bruno, and allowing it to be dangerously out of control and cause injury outside Tesco in Dedworth Road.
His friend Marvin Cook, 45, of Greenacre, Dedworth also appeared and entered a guilty plea to being in charge of a dog and allowing it to be dangerously out of control and causing injury.
The court heard how Eliades left the half American Bull, half Staffy cross with Cook outside Tesco at 7.30-7.45pm on April 24.
After shopping for food he came outside to find Bruno had bitten the right hand of a self-employed painter and decorator.
Bruno had to be 'yanked off' the victim by Cook and was taken to Wexham Park Hospital for two operations on his hand as suffered lacerations, punctured wounds and tendon damage.
The victim who knew both defendants and had gone to speak to Cook when he was attacked lost £7,000 in work earnings, is now fearful of dogs and said his 'life came to halt'.
PC Beck and PC Kindred from Thames Valley Police also told the court when they arrived at 8.30pm Bruno was growling and 'aggressive' and they feared he would bite them.
Madeleine Di Matteo, defending, argued Eliades was not with Bruno at the time so possession and responsibility had transferred to Cook.
But District Judge Andrew Vickers, said the transfer had not passed and was temporary.
He said: "Mr Cook was looking after it for a very, very short period and I still find Mr Eliades was in control also."
Mr Vickers added there will be no 'destruction' of two-year-old Bruno who will not be taken off Eliades, but he must put a muzzle on him when out in a public place.
The court also heard Bruno bit a lady outside Costcutter in Dedworth Road on March 17, 2012, but Eliades was not prosecuted.
Both will be sentenced at the same court on October 24.
Top Ten Articles
Residents and councillors alike are disgusted with the hit-and-miss bin collections in the borough, which have left some residents with rotting, maggot-filled bins for weeks on end.