Sun, 22
13 °C
Mon, 23
16 °C
Tue, 24
17 °C

School's award-winning chef hurt in explosion

School's award-winning chef hurt in explosion

Francis Batt

School's award-winning chef hurt in explosion

A school chef named locally as Corinne Du Preez was rushed to hospital in the air ambulance after a gas cooker exploded in the kitchen of the school where she supervises the provision of 95 meals a day.

The accident happened at Kings Court First School in Ashbrook Road, Old Windsor just before 10am on Tuesday.

The air ambulance took her to John Radcliffe Hospital near Oxford where her condition was believed to be stable later that day.

Firefighters from Windsor and Langley were called to the scene although it is understood no serious damage was caused to the kitchen and classes continued as normal.

Among the team that attended the scene was firefighter Michael Rowley, who has an anxious few moments as his four-year-old son and six-year-old daughter go to the school.

Old Windsor was in shock this week. Mrs Du Preez, 47, is a much loved emploeee at the school who made the news back in May when she took the title of the Local Authorities Caters Association's School Chef of the Year for 2013 at the national finals in Hampshire.

The mother-of-four is employed by Caterlink for the Royal Borough.

Her varied career has included planning, producing and serving a five course meal to members of the royal family aboard a private aircraft charter to Moscow. 

A spokesman for the Royal Borough said: "At no time was any pupil in danger and the school did not need to be evacuated. Classes are continuing as normal.

"The incident is now being investigated by the council’s health and safety team, in conjunction with the fire service and the school."

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles