03:03AM, Friday 08 November 2013
Cllr Tom Bursnall, leader of the UK Independence Party's (UKIP) Windsor branch, said he has faced a backlash from some party members since revealing he will not actively be seeking candidates to stand against seven Tory councillors earlier this month.
But the Clewer East ward councillor has stood by his decision and said the party needs to establish 'a good base locally' in order to achieve national success.
Cllr Bursnall caused a stir when he and his wife, the former mayoress Cllr Catherine Bursnall (Castle Without), took the decision to defect from the Conservatives to the eurosceptic party last year.
But he maintains the decision was based on national, rather than local, politics, and said the current Conservative-led council 'do many things a UKIP council would do'.
He denied any suggestion of a 'deal' or 'pact', and said: "The way I see it is we are not at a stage where we can stand against everyone.
"We have got to realistic about what we can achieve.
"There are councillors I do think we could do business with, and others I don't think we could do business with."
Cllr Phill Bicknell (Park), Cllr George Bathurst (Castle Without) and Cllr Jesse Grey (Datchet) are among the seven Tories who are set to go unopposed.
The election of Lib Dem Cllr Simon Werner by just eight votes at last year's Pinkneys Green by-election also influenced the decision.
Cllr Bursnall pointed to a split vote between the Conservatives and UKIP and added: "It's an example. If that were replicated across 40 wards we would have a Labour or Lib Dem administration.
"The Conservatives need to wake up to that."
Andy Heap, chairman of the Maidenhead branch of UKIP, said no thought has been given to replicating the strategy in the area as yet.
Top Ten Articles
Hundreds of students across East Berkshire and South Bucks collected their results on Thursday, August 16
Our reporting team spoke to students in Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead throughout the morning with the latest reaction, stories, photos and pass rates from schools across the area.
The family of a young man who died in the Jubilee River in 2015 has urged would-be swimmers to think twice, after two men’s bodies were recovered from the river in July.