09:41AM, Thursday 12 December 2013
Shocked villager had to shiver outside their homes in the early hours of this morning as fears grew that a major explosion could be about to happen.
Firefighters were called to a house in Ashbrook Road, Old Windsor at 1am after a large single storey garden shed full of equipment went up in smoke.
Fears that there might be cylinders full of the notoriously unstable gas acetylene led firefighters to knock on the doors of 30 houses, evacuating residents who had to wait outside for more than an hour.
In the end the cylinders were found only to contain butane and people were able to return to their homes. But the shed and its contents were entirely destroyed.
It is normal policy to evacuate people within a 250m radius when acetylene cylinders are believed to be at risk of exploding.
Firefighters left the scene by 5am.
Top Ten Articles
Residents and councillors alike are disgusted with the hit-and-miss bin collections in the borough, which have left some residents with rotting, maggot-filled bins for weeks on end.