01:45AM, Tuesday 04 February 2014
A Legoland boss was told by a Windsor councillor to prioritise people living in the Royal Borough ahead of paying guests.
Sue Kemp, divisional director of Legoland Windsor, and Ben Smith, Royal Borough traffic and strategy manager, gave a presentation at the highways, transport and environment overview and scrutiny panel regarding traffic management solutions at the Winkfield Road theme park.
Traffic conditions have been criticised in the past after heavy congestion in Windsor and Ascot was caused during busy periods in the summer and Easter holidays.
Speaking at the meeting on Monday), Cllr John Fido (West Windsor Independent, Clewer North) said: "Legoland's main priority should be the people of Windsor, it's their town and not the guests. They pay council taxes so I think it is wrong to put guests before residents."
Cllr David Hilton (Con, Ascot and Cheapside) agreed with Cllr Fido that more needed to be done to manage the traffic situation.
He said: "A number of days throughout last year I had residents calling me to say they couldn't get to Windsor.
"The congestion is unacceptable, I believe it outweighs the benefits Legoland brings in the form of employment and business."
In response, Ms Kemp said the park generated 25 per cent of tourism in the Royal Borough and provided employment to more than 2,000 people.
She added: "We're already in conversation with a private company on how to use ad-hoc traffic systems and we’re also looking at providing shuttle buses from hotels to the park site.
"We're looking at alternative options to bringing people in or out of Legoland. We're landlocked so there are other stakeholders involved and we need to have some further conversation with the Crown Estate."
Other improvements which will be implemented this year include enhanced route signage, highway infrastructure, additional park and ride options, enhanced visitor information, supporting other alternative travel choices and on park Wi-Fi.
The meeting took place at Maidenhead Town Hall.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.