02:30AM, Tuesday 03 June 2014
A 'summer of hell' was how one councillor described the prospect of traffic in Windsor over the next few months.
Speaking at a meeting of the Windsor Town Forum last night, Cllr John Fido (Independent, Clewer North) said he believed the forum should call a special meeting to talk about traffic issues in the town.
The forum discussed a parking review of Windsor town centre after a presentation made by highways strategy and traffic manager Ben Smith.
Cllr Fido said:"The next forum meeting is in October and if we do not address the traffic issue it could lead to a summer of hell.
"I suggest we have a special meeting so we can give residents the chance to have their say around this table and we all have powers on committees we can use to make a difference."
Chairman Cllr Natasha Airey (Con, Park) expressed concerns that a special meeting would be futile as the forum is not a decision making body but suggested making representations at the next highways, transport and environment overview and scrutiny panel.
During the presentation, Ben Smith said a number of pledges adopted as part of the Royal Borough's parking strategy in 2009 had been completed.
These included 300 new parking spaces on the street, a new system of message signs, 260 extra weekend spaces at East Berkshire College and King Edward VII Hospital, 150 weekend park and ride spaces at Centrica, 100 car park spaces extended and the Windsor Dial Link Bridge.
Proposals to create a park and ride scheme at Royal Windsor Racecourse, in Maidenhead Road, have stalled after changes in management and ownership but talks to find an agreement are still going on.
Cllr Fido brought up issues in west Windsor where commuters were 'abandoning' their cars and causing problems for homeowners.
He said: "It's a great problem which needs attention from everyone. Residents need a decent town to live in where they can move about and go about their business."
The date for the next scheduled Windsor Town Forum is Monday, October 6.
Top Ten Articles
The family of a young man who died in the Jubilee River in 2015 has urged would-be swimmers to think twice, after two men’s bodies were recovered from the river in July.