09:59AM, Friday 21 December 2012
A courageous schoolboy who had to fight for his life after being diagnosed with cancer has been recognised with an award.
Harry McCabe, who was so poorly he had to learn to walk again after being confined to a wheelchair, has been awarded the Little Star Award by Cancer Research UK.
The 10-year-old of Concorde Court, Windsor, was diagnosed with Lymphoma four years ago just a week before Christmas.
He is now in remission and the St Edward's Middle School pupil is now looking forward to a fun-filled festive holiday.
His mother Kerry, who also has a daughter Molly, six, said: "We nearly lost him as he was already so weak from the chemotherapy treatment.
"Harry also had to spend a lot of time in isolation because of his low immunity and found not being able to play with other children really hard. We are very proud of him. He is such a lovely, happy little boy."
Harry battled cancer after chemotherapy left him unable to walk or move his arms for several months and spent six months in a wheelchair.
He was diagnosed by chance as had no warning symptoms, before his mum noticed a lump in his throat the size of a small sweet. Kerry added: "The doctors who thought I was being over sensitive later congratulated me.
"It just goes to show that mums often do know best. It was still an absolute shock when he was diagnosed and his dad Cassius and I found it hard seeing him being given such gruelling treatment."
The awards are given out by the cancer charity to courageous children and about 100 are given out each year.
Harry has been awarded a trophy, a £50 TK Maxx gift card and a certificate signed by a host of celebrities.
Those supporting included England football captain Steven Gerrard, who said the strength of every child diagnosed with cancer is 'incredible'.
The awards are open to all under 18s who have cancer or who have been treated in the last five years.
Visit www.cruk.org/littlestar to nominate someone.
Top Ten Articles
Residents and councillors alike are disgusted with the hit-and-miss bin collections in the borough, which have left some residents with rotting, maggot-filled bins for weeks on end.