Football round-up: Windsor FC suffer first loss of the season

Football round-up: Windsor FC suffer first loss of the season

Windsor 1, Edgware Town 4

Mark Cooper admitted Windsor FC were ‘poor from the outset’ after they succumbed to their first defeat in the Combined Counties League to Edgware Town on Saturday afternoon.

At Stag Meadow, the Royalists were defeated 4-1 thanks to Nial Waite (two), Coailan McGettigan, and Novell Sony-Bruce, with Charlie Lossaso scoring the solitary goal for Windsor from the penalty spot.

Cooper’s men came into this tie with a hot streak of three league victories, so it was somewhat surprising to see them come out of the blocks sluggishly while their visitors imposed themselves in swift fashion.

Perry Price registered the first shot of the afternoon, an attempt which curled wide of the woodwork in the sixth minute. The forward went close again moments after, but this effort was calmly collected by Sam Butcher.

The breakthrough came in the 15th minute when a low cross driven across the Windsor box was turned into the back of the net by Waite after Butcher mistimed his dive. Seven minutes later, the attacker headed in his second, assisted by Kleon James.

The Royalists were able to halve the deficit just after the half hour mark with Lossaso keeping his nerve to slot away a tidy finish from the spot. And after an extensive spell of Edgware pressure, the referee blew for half-time, leaving Cooper and his management plenty to mull over at the break.

Excellence Muhemba fired off an early shot after the interval which sailed wide of the post, and then the second half proceeded to be dominated by the visitors.

In the 52nd minute, with some insane pace, James drove down the right side of the pitch and drilled in a superb ball for McGettigan to convert. Ten minutes later, Edgware had their fourth, with Sony-Bruce getting on the action, assisted by Waite.

With 30 minutes remaining, Rak Hudson’s men continued to apply the pressure, under the influence of the Edgware fans who had made the worthwhile journey down from London and across to Stag Meadow.

“They were on the front foot right from the first whistle,” said Cooper at full-time. “And we never quite got into the game.

“Their movement was very good. They have a good front three who caused us quite a few issues in behind. We didn’t defend their crosses well enough – all four of the goals came from the wide area.

“It’s extremely disappointing how we applied ourselves defensively.”

Cooper added: “On a day like today when the mistakes are so glaring – giving the ball away so needlessly – it’s difficult to know what to work on.

“We’ll certainly be back to the drawing board this week and the boys have got a lot of hard work to do.

“We were under no illusions this was going to be a difficult fixture today. I thought they were excellent, and I thought they deserved the three points.”


Elsewhere, Maidenhead United opened their National League 2021/22 campaign with a victory, beating FC Halifax Town 2-1 at The Shay. Sam Barratt and Kane Ferdinand were this afternoon’s goalscorers.

Slough Town were defeated 3-0 by Dartford at Princes Park. Ade Azeez, Noor Husin and George Porter hit the target for the Darts.

Marlow FC progress into the next round of the Emirates FA Cup following their 3-0 win against Slimbridge AFC, with Nnamdi Nwachuku, Junaid Bell, and Isaac Olurunfemi all scoring.

Burnham FC will need to replay Northwood FC after the two sides’ preliminary round clash ended in a 1-1 stalemate. Gavin James equalised in the 71st minute for the Blues.

Flackwell Heath will also need to settle the score with Tuffley Rovers following their 2-2 draw in the tournament. Jack Taylor and Aiden Higgs got themselves on the scoresheet for the Heathens.

Holyport FC were overcome 4-2 by Wembley FC in a thrilling clash in the Combined Counties division this afternoon. Usman Lalustani was Port's best man, scoring a brace.


Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles