Mon, 18
11 °C
Tue, 19
14 °C
Wed, 20
15 °C

Football round-up: Amartey nets last-gasp winner for Flackwell Heath at promotion chasing Highworth Town

Daniel Darlington

FOOTBALL 129216-14

Marcus Richardson.Burnham v Flackwell Heath Burnham FC, Wymers Wood Road, Burnham.

Highworth Town 2, Flackwell Heath 3

Francis Amartey scored in the very last seconds as Flackwell Heath claimed a brilliant 3-2 win over promotion chasing Highworth Town.

Marcus Richardson’s Heathens have been in excellent form of late, typified by their 4-0 win over Wantage Town at Wilks Park two weeks ago, and they picked up at Highworth where they left off, netting twice in the opening 37 minutes to take a commanding lead.

Their hopes of victory were threatened when Ash Edenborough netted from the penalty spot after the Heathens had been reduced to 10 men, and Lewis Waldon looked to have salvaged a point for the home side in the 88th minute.

However, the final say went to Amartey who claimed a last-gasp winner very much against the run of play.


Thame United 4, Marlow 0

Marlow suffered another heavy away defeat as they conceded four second half strikes in defeat at Thame United.

The Blues kept their hosts at arms length in the first half, but fell apart in the second 45 minutes. Dan West gave Thame a 58th minute lead before Luke Ricketts’ brace made it 3-0. Jamie Essex rounded off the scoring in the final 10 minutes to complete another miserable day for the Blues.


Windsor’s home game against Stag Meadow was called off before kick-off due to a waterlogged pitch. A new date for the encounter will be fixed up in due course. Windsor visit Thatcham Town in the semi-finals of the league cup on Monday night. Elsewhere in the Hellenic Premier Division Burnham's trip to Lydney Town was also postponed.


Holyport’s Supplementary Cup tie at Brimscombe & Thrupp this afternoon also fell foul of the weather. It was postponed by the match referee due to standing water being on the field.


Wycombe Wanderers 1, Cambridge United 1

Wycombe Wanderers were denied a crucial three points in their promotion chase by Paul Lewis’ injury-time leveller at Adams Park.

Adebayo Akinfenwa gave the home side the lead on the stroke of half-time with a textbook header for his 17th of the season. But, in six added minutes of extra-time, Lewis fired the U’s level to steal a point.

Gareth Ainsworth said afterwards: “It’s tough to take. We thought there was a foul in the build up. Our defender got wiped clean out. The referee hasn’t seen it that way and we’ll have to live with it.”


Reading 2, Leeds United 2

The points were shared at the Madejski Stadium where Reading and Leeds United played out a 2-2 draw.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson calmly slotted the Royals in front from Clement’s through-ball in the 16th minute, but Pontus Jansson’s header drew Leeds level before the break.

A powerful strike from Pablo Hernandez gave the visitors the early initiative in the second half, but Leandro Bacuna’s ball in from the right was deflected in for an own goal by Eunan O’Kane as Reading responded to take a point.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles