Sun, 16
14 °C
Mon, 17
15 °C
Tue, 18
15 °C

Barratt scores wonder goal as Magpies are held by Wrexham

Daniel Darlington

Barratt scores wonder goal as Magpies are held by Wrexham

Maidenhead United 2, Wrexham 2

Sam Barratt scored a goal of the season contender as Maidenhead United let slip a two-goal lead at the interval to draw 2-2 with Wrexham at York Road.

United once again produced an encouraging display against a promotion contending side, but in an excellent game of football played in blustery conditions, Wrexham managed to fight back for a share of the spoils.

After a jittery start, in which Wrexham made most of the running and threatened a breakthrough, Maidenhead produced a couple of moments of magic to seemingly put them on the road to all three points.

In the 15th minute Barratt collected the ball well inside his own half close to the centre circle. He shifted it quickly onto his left and, having spotted keeper Rob Lainton out of position, he drove the ball like a golfer from the tee over the head of the backpedalling stopper and into the back of the net.

It was a goal that deserved to have a crowd to witness it and hopefully Maidenhead fans were able to enjoy it on the livestream from the comfort of their own homes.

Better was to follow from the Magpies who then laid siege to the Wrexham goal, forcing a series of corners that were just about dealt with by the visitor’s defence.

The excellent Ryan Upward saw a rising drive saved well by Lainton in the 22nd minute and Josh Coley whipped in a shot a few minutes later after being well teed up by Danilo Orsi-Dadomo.

At the other end Wrexham also had their moments, with most of them falling to Jordan Davies. He saw a couple of goalbound efforts blocked by Manny Parry in the first half as United players put their bodies on the line to preserve the side’s advantage.

On the half-hour the home side extended their lead, and it was man-of-the-match contender James Comley who scored it. Driving forward from inside his own half he held off several challenges before attempting to slip a pass through to Orsi-Dadomo and Coley. A defender’s foot diverted the ball high in the air and as it came down Comley took control of the situation with Coley also lurking, half-volleying the ball beyond Lainton.

Coley came close to a third moments later with a low ball into the Wrexham area that was scrambled to safety on the goalline. Luke Young could have reduced the deficit with an effort just before the interval, but Rhys Lovett got down just in time to palm the shot behind for a corner.

With several decisions having not gone their way Wrexham were clearly riled when they came back out for the second half.
Skipper Shaun Pearson rallied his side with a cry of ‘if we get one, we’ll get two’. Sadly, for the Magpies he was proved correct.

Wrexham were snapping into tackles, trying to throw the Magpies off their game and, with the wind now against them, the home side’s lead suddenly looked less emphatic. In the 58th minute Davies finally netted from one of several corner kicks, flashing home a header at the near post. Paul Rutherford then skipped through the host’s defence before pulling a left-footed shot narrowly wide.

The Magpies maybe should have killed Wrexham off midway through the half when a couple of chances fell to Barratt and Coley. The first saw Barratt’s rising right-footed drive pushed behind for a corner after good work from Upward and then Coley skimmed the outside of the post from 20-yards in the 72nd minute, when a pass to Orsi-Dadomo, who was in space, might have been the better option.

Ryheem Sheckleford, another of the Magpies’ outstanding performers on the day, made a goal-saving block to deny Davies what looked a certain equaliser a couple of moments later, while Fiacre Kelleher nearly scored with a header from a very similar position to Davies’ in the 77th minute.

Wrexham’s goal duly arrived in the 81st minute. A momentary lapse in concentration from the home side allowed Dior Angus to scamper through on the left side of the Magpies area and he finished confidently past Lovett to make the final score 2-2.

United sit 12th in the table after today’s results, nine points off the play-off matches with two games in hand on most of the sides above them. On Saturday they travel to fourth placed Hartlepool United, who were beaten 1-0 by Bromley this afternoon.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles