05:06PM, Monday 16 February 2026
Burgers, pictured in May last year.
The owners of a former Marlow bakery have said work is underway to bring the building back into use.
Burgers Artisan Bakery opened on the town’s High Street in 1942 during the Second World War, when Eric and Marie Burger moved to Marlow and opened their Continental Confectioners.
The bakery was best known for its cakes, breads, pastries and hand-crafted chocolates, and was one of Marlow’s most recognisable businesses.
However, its former home on The Causeway still stands vacant following the shop’s closure in June last year.
The Burger family sold the bakery and café to Sorbon Estates, with the agents now telling the Local Democracy Reporting Service that work is underway to bring the building back into use.
In a statement, the company said: “We are excited to be progressing plans to bring this important Marlow property back to life.
“We recognise how keen local residents are to see the building returned to active use, and we share that ambition.
“Sorbon Estates has been working closely with the Conservation team at Buckinghamshire Council as we develop proposals that sensitively restore and future‑proof this much‑loved Grade II listed building.
“As with any heritage asset, this process requires careful consideration and therefore takes time to ensure the right outcome for both the property and the town.
“We look forward to sharing further updates as soon as we are able, and we welcome enquiries from prospective tenants who would like to be part of the future of this cherished site.”
The windows of the former bakery have been covered with stickers which read: “A new chapter begins …
“Burgers have been at the heart of this space for many years, and we’re proud to honour that legacy while shaping an exciting new future for the town.
“We are currently preparing plans to carefully restore this landmark building ready for its next chapter.”
The signage also includes a QR code for members of the public to scan, inviting residents to share what they would like to see at the site in future.
When it closed, customers shared memories of visiting the shop over the years and spoke of their sadness at seeing the much-loved bakery shut its doors.
Most read
Top Articles
A Slough man has been jailed for exposing himself at people's addresses in Maidenhead, Slough and Windsor.
The first Captain’s Drive In took place at Mill Ride in Ascot on Sunday to mark the start of the club’s year, which saw more than 100 members attend the ‘incredibly well-supported event’.
Six restaurants across East Berkshire and South Bucks have once again retained Michelin stars in the newly published Michelin Guide.