04:09AM, Thursday 29 December 2011
Shoppers in Windsor witnessed an undignified spat between a councillor and campaigner in the town centre on Saturday (dec10) that ended with police arriving.
Marc Green, leader of the Save Heatherwood Hospital campaign, was manning a stand in Peascod Street, when Cllr George Bathurst (Con, Castle Without) demanded it was shut down.
After he refused, Cllr Bathurst called town centre manager Paul Roach.
He also contacted police who turned up at 1pm to take Mr Green's name and number.
Cllr Bathurst became incensed while on the council's nearby surgery van and said he acted as the stall had no permit and he received complaints about it from traders.
But an angry Mr Green has complained to the council about the councillor's actions and said the 'tirade' shocked him, especially as it took place in front of his son Patrick, 11.
"I was concerned and worried as my son had never been in a situation like this before and I was worried about the impact on him and what he would do if I was arrested," he said.
Mr Green, from Petworth Court, claims it was a 'personal and political attack', which Cllr Bathurst denies.
He said it will not stop him and other campaigners from collecting signatures, which they have done every Saturday for five months and it will be back tomorrow (Sat/Dec 17), irrespective of whether he is granted a permit to do so - and he has left messages with Mr Roach asking for a permit.
Cllr Bathurst, said Mr Green 'broke the rules' and added: "He is more than welcome to be in the town centre.
"I am not trying to silence him, but he needs to apply for a licence like everyone else."
Paul Roach, Windsor and Eton town manager, said: "Any organisation wishing to set up a stand or a stall on the public highway must apply for a permit - and the council needs to see a copy of their £5m public liability insurance.
"Permission is dependent on other activities already booked for the area - in this case no permit had been applied for."
A police spokesman said an officer attended the scene and spoke to a campaigner, but as they were leaving no further action was required.
Top Ten Articles
The family of a young man who died in the Jubilee River in 2015 has urged would-be swimmers to think twice, after two men’s bodies were recovered from the river in July.