10:53AM, Thursday 12 April 2012
A man who caused a village storm last year by applying to establish a site for travellers has put in a new application.
Fred Sines now wants a 'change of use' permission so tents and caravans can stay on land adjoining his Newtonside Orchard mobile home park in Burfield Road, Old Windsor for up to 28 days.
Some have been seen using the site over Easter and it is advertised on the website www.ukcampsite.co.uk
Mr Sines withdrew his plan for a travellers' site last year after it prompted enormous opposition in Old Windsor. Hundreds turned out at planning meetings to oppose it.
He paid a price for his plan. He had a licence with the Caravan Club until last year, when it was taken away because of concerns about the 'travellers' plan.
Mr Sines' latest plan is also likely to be controversial though, as the site in question is listed by the council as being for outdoor recreation and leisure use - not for tents or caravans.
Opponents are already objecting.
But Mr Sines said there is no reason for people who did not want a travellers' site to object to his new idea.
He said: "It is purely for people to come and bring their kids and have holidays as there is nowhere in Windsor for them to stay. We lost the caravanning and camping club licence and we are just going back to what we had."
Top Ten Articles
The family of a young man who died in the Jubilee River in 2015 has urged would-be swimmers to think twice, after two men’s bodies were recovered from the river in July.