03:02AM, Monday 18 June 2012
Hospice supporters are not letting the collapse of a planned fundraising walk dampen their spirits.
The second 'midnight walk' planned to raise money for the hospice in Hatch Lane, Windsor had been planned to take place on June 30 following last year's successful pyjama clad event. But organisers decided to pull the plug last week when it became clear there was not enough support.
The hospice celebrates its 25th birthday this year and more than 80 per cent of its financing comes from the community.
But fundraising director Sue Lindsey said the cancelling of the walk would not stop plans to expand its service to care for people in their own homes. Other events are already planned.
She said: "We will be having a dawn 'walk to remember' on September 23 starting at Alexandra Gardens and heading into the Great Park.
"Before that we are having a 1980s evening on September 8 at the Blue Mountain Golf Club in Bracknell to celebrate our birthday and in October a drag race in the Home Park with men wearing high heels taking part."
Now those who had signed up to take part in the cancelled walk are being asked to transfer their support to other fundraising events.
If Thames Hospicecare - which runs the hospice in Hatch Lane and its sister day hospice at Ascot's Heatherwood Hospital - can raise £150,000, an anonymous donor has agreed to match it to double the amount.
Already two of the three nurses needed to make the new 'hospice at home' plan work have been recruited.
An anniversary party to celebrate the hospice's 25th birthday raised £20,000 when it was held at the Castle Hotel in Windsor earlier this year.
An independent report into a Conservative councillor has found a breach of the Royal Borough’s code of conduct in a document seen by the Advertiser.