03:40AM, Thursday 21 June 2012
A fresh battle looks to be brewing in the heart of Old Windsor after a landowner filed new plans to create a gypsy travellers caravan site.
The latest bid by Fred Sines, of Sines Parks, comes after his first effort was met with a concerted village campaign to block the controversial move.
It also follows a week after the Royal Borough faced a backlash from its own members against outline proposals to create two new traveller pitches and extend a third.
Mr Sines wants change of use permission to create a five-pitch caravan site on land next to Newtonside Orchard in Burfield Road. It is used as a holiday and mobile home site.
His previous effort to convert the land sparked outrage. Incensed villagers said it would have a destructive impact on Old Windsor.
More than 500 people signed a petition and 250 crowded into a public meeting to object.
Mr Sines dramatically withdrew the application in April last year, just before it was to be discussed at a borough planning meeting.
Householder Julie Cracknell, of Burfield Road, said she has no problem with the existing use of the site but is against the changes.
"I do not want a gypsy encampment because good or bad it does affect the price of your house," said the mum-of-one.
"This area of the village will get a stigma attached to it as well."
Old Windsor Parish Council chairman Jane Dawson said the application will be discussed during the next meeting at its offices in Church Road on July 4, before the Royal Borough makes a final decision in August.
She said: "We are in a repeat situation. There is no point getting over-excited at the moment and we just need to go through due process."
Mr Sines told the Express he had 'nothing to say' about the new application.
Top Ten Articles