08:30AM, Friday 19 December 2014
A festive sing-song at a housing association block was spoilt by a fire alarm which was left ringing for more than five hours.
Residents at Radian's Sir Sydney Camm House in Albert Street, Windsor were left feeling like they were 'in a mad house' after smoke from a cooker set off the fire alarm at 5.10pm on Thursday, December 11 and it was not switched off until 10.15pm.
Firefighters had left the scene at 5.30pm.
Children from Central Windsor Brownies were due to perform Christmas carols at the house on the night but the noise from the alarm spoilt the evening.
Betty Clark, 85, of Sir Sydney Camm House said: "We were so upset because of the noise and it spoilt the evening completely. It was like being in a mad house.
"This isn't the first time it has happened. We want to give Radian a wake up call because this getting stupid and it's not fair on us. We should be looked after."
An engineer was sent to switch off the fire alarm on Thursday night but had to make the journey from Manchester to sort out the problem.
Another resident Elizabeth Crew, 80, said: "A lot of the elderly people in the house were very distressed, it shouldn't have been allowed to go on for as long as it did."
A Radian spokesman said: "We regret the inconvenience caused to residents at Sydney Camm House.
"We have already written to every resident individually to apologise.
"We have recently installed a new alarm system at Sydney Camm House, this requires a code to be input to turn off the alarm.
"Whilst we are pleased that the fire detectors worked well and the Fire Brigade attended promptly, we have reissued the code to relevant parties and, reviewed our processes to ensure that the alarm is reset promptly in future."
Top Ten Articles
A man from Slough has been jailed for five years and seven months for drug offences. Andre Hackett, 46 of Spackmans Way, pleaded guilty at Reading Crown Court on Friday (July 17).