03:01PM, Sunday 30 August 2015
Plans to build a temporary ice rink with additional funfair rides in Alexandra Gardens, Windsor, have been given the go-ahead despite objections from concerned residents.
Members of the Windsor Urban Development Panel agreed to give Windsor On Ice planning permission for this winter at a meeting on Wednesday.
But councillors refused to grant the three-year licence that had been requested by the applicant David Coleman, whose company runs the temporary ice rink.
Michael Pitfield, who lives in Windsor, told the panel that while he welcomed the original concept of the ice rink, he could not accept the additional attractions such as last year’s ‘notorious’ Christmas dodgem cars.
“Fairground rides like this are by no stretch of the imagination ‘Christmassy’ and are totally inappropriate in Alexandra Gardens,” he said.
He also said the expansion of the ice rink in recent years had left parts of the gardens ruined.
“Year after year the lawns and the flowerbeds are damaged. The re-turfed areas take months to recover and some parts of the gardens and the lawns have still not recovered now,” he added.
Mr Pitfield clashed with the chairman of the Windsor Urban Development Panel, Cllr Phillip Bicknell (Con, Park), after he continued with his speech after his allotted three minutes had run out.
Angry words were exchanged with Cllr Bicknell describing Mr Pitfield’s actions as ‘outrageous’.
David Coleman defended the addition of fairground rides and told the panel his company just wanted to provide activities for all ages.
He also said he wanted to get planning permission for the next three years so he could provide a better corporate service.
Cllr Shamsul Shelim (Con, Castle Without) proposed to grant planning permission to Windsor On Ice for one year and this was met with unanimous backing from councillors.
The temporary ice rink will be open from November to January.
More than 50 street parties are set to take place this weekend across the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead and the surrounding areas.
An independent report into a Conservative councillor has found a breach of the Royal Borough’s code of conduct in a document seen by the Advertiser.