08:06AM, Friday 20 November 2015
Pressure is mounting on the Royal Borough to refuse an application for stationary house boats along the River Thames after an action group lodged a petition.
Submitted by the Haulfryn Group, the application proposes the replacement of 33 residential and leisure boat moorings at Willows Riverside Park, Water Oakley, with 13 purpose-built stationary houseboats.
However it has been met with firm opposition by the Willows Riverside Action Group which believes the new house boats would block the picturesque views of the Thames.
“We started the petition to hold people’s interest,” said Ann Stanmore, a member of the action group.
“We have had support from so many people around the borough and we want to let them know that we are still fighting it.
“We will keep pressuring the council.”
The petition posted on the Royal Borough’s website says the plans will ‘destroy the openness of the river’, have an ‘impact on the setting and character of the Thames’ and ‘destroy the only outdoor amenity space for those living in the area’.
So far more than 100 people have signed it.
Ann said: “If this application goes ahead it is going to spoil the whole park and the river itself. It will be awful.”
A decision on the application was expected to be given by the council by September 10 but so far the action group says it has heard nothing.
“We do not know what is going on,” Ann added. “It is something that is going to be going on for a long time, backwards and forwards.”
Other objections have also been received by the council over the application.
The Environment Agency (EA) said the application failed to carry out suitable tests to assess the flood risk.
When contacted by the Express, the Royal Borough said the application was due to be discussed, along with the comments from the EA, at a future Windsor urban development and control panel. A date has not been confirmed.
The Haulfryn Group was unavailable for comment.
Visit petitions.rbwm.gov.uk/willowsiverside to view the petition.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.