11:02AM, Friday 08 January 2016
A fresh planning application for a traveller site in Old Windsor has been submitted.
The application is for a change of use of land in Burfield Road to provide a two pitch traveller caravan site in connection with Newtonside Orchard, a leisure and residential park run by Sines Parks.
The land is owned by Fred Sines, who has submitted the application.
The site was the subject of a public enquiry after an application for a five unit traveller site was refused and unsuccessfully appealed in 2012 and 2013.
Cllr Lynne Jones (Old Windsor Residents Association) said: “It is greenbelt land and also in a flood zone three.
“All the rain water from the hills above runs through the site so you shouldn’t really put vulnerable people living in caravans there.
“It has been a camping and caravan site, but that is only for 28 days a year. It’s never been a year round site.”
Mark Southern, the application’s agent, said the plans are for only two caravans which would be occupied by the family of the owners of Newtonside Orchard.
For a development on greenbelt land there must be ‘very special circumstances’ and Mark added ‘there is no tangible harm’ for what he labelled a ‘modest scheme’.
The site has been subject to nine enforcement enquiries since 2001 with the most recent one in November 13 last year.
This was to remove caravans, mobile homes, motorhomes and tents in addition to the hardcore and scalpings which had been laid at the site.
This was unsuccessfully appealed by Mr Sines and the Royal Borough said a further application concerning the same site is currently waiting to be heard by the Court of Appeal.
Consultation on the new application is due to be completed on January 27 and a decision is expected by February 17.
Top Ten Articles