10:23AM, Thursday 12 May 2016
A homeless man who lived in a campsite near Junction 6 of the M4 died in September after vomiting in his sleep having taken a ‘cocktail of substances’, an inquest has heard.
An inquest held at Reading Town Hall on Wednesday heard that 33-year-old Grzegorz Sommerfield died during the night between September 17 and 18.
Mr Sommerfield, originally from Poland, had been living in a campsite by the Jubilee River near Junction 6 of the M4, sheltered by makeshift wooden structures, with his friend Marcin Bukowiec.
Mr Bukowiec’s statement, read by coroner Peter Bedford, says he discovered Mr Sommerfield in the campsite after waking up between 10am and 11am on the morning of his friend’s death.
A toxicology report read at the inquest stated that Mr Sommerfield, who is thought to have been homeless for about two years, had codeine and morphine in his blood, suggesting heroin use.
Mr Sommerfield had also taken 'recreational’ amounts of amphetamine, a mixture of painkillers, anti-psychotics, anti-depressants and just under double the drink drive limit of alcohol.
The inquest heard that the alcohol, anti-depressants and codeine were the substances most likely to have made him sick.
Coroner Bedford described it as a 'drug related death' and that there is nothing to suggest he intended to harm himself.
Top Ten Articles
Hundreds of students across East Berkshire and South Bucks are collecting their A-level results today.
Our reporting team are speaking to students in Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead throughout the morning with the latest reaction, stories, photos and pass rates from schools across the area.