09:20AM, Wednesday 20 January 2016
Drunken revellers who spill out from the pubs and clubs of Windsor could hang around the streets for longer if a kebab house is allowed to extend its opening hours, police have said.
Thames Valley Police (TVP) this week opposed an application by the Istanbul Kebab House, in Victoria Street, which could see the late-night takeaway shop stay open until 5am on Friday and Saturday nights.
Councillors on the Royal Borough’s licensing sub-committee discussed the application on Monday during a meeting at Windsor Guildhall.
The application outlines plans to extend the shop’s closing time by one hour on Friday and Saturday.
Manager Mehmet Kutlubay has also asked the borough to allow the shop to extend its alcohol home delivery service until 1am, seven days a week.
The plans were met with strong opposition by TVP and the force’s licensing supervisor, Ben Clarke, told the sub-committee that the shop had been a ‘significant flashpoint’ for crime and disorder in Windsor’s night-time economy.
Mr Clarke said: “It is the reality that our officers are having to deal with a large number of issues week in, week out and the location of this premises is a significant flashpoint.
“Like it or not, there are large numbers of drunk people from Atik (formerly Liquid nightclub) and other places that go to the premises.
“The longer the premises is open, the more drunk people will be hanging around the area.”
Mr Clarke also said that there had been incidents where the performance of the Istanbul Kebab House had ‘fallen short of expectations’ and the shop’s door staff had not been co-operative in helping to tackle anti-social behaviour.
TVP had two recorded crime and disorder incidents at the Victoria Street shop in 2015.
David Dadds, representing Istanbul Kebab House, said the shop was a family business run by three brothers who had been ‘very supportive of the area.’
He also accused TVP of ‘trying to throw mud’ regarding the shop’s cooperation with police.
More than 50 street parties are set to take place this weekend across the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead and the surrounding areas.
An independent report into a Conservative councillor has found a breach of the Royal Borough’s code of conduct in a document seen by the Advertiser.